Iowa women’s basketball falls to Nebraska, 66-46

Iowa’s women’s basketball team fell for the sixth time in seven games after No. 24 Nebraska used a late second-half run to pull away from the Hawkeyes and win, 66-46.

The surging Huskers — they have won nine-straight games, including two against Iowa — proved to be too much for the Hawkeyes Sunday afternoon. After pulling within 2 points at the 12-minute mark of the second half, Nebraska went on to outscore Iowa 28-10 to end the game. Iowa (17-11, 6-8 Big Ten) fell to 7-2 against ranked opponents.

“That is another big win for us,” Nebraska coach Connie Yori said in a release. “That is the way we want to close out wins. We were up five with eight minutes left, and then I looked up with a minute left and we were up 20. We made a lot of big shots and a lot of big plays. Rachel and Lindsey were really good today.”

Iowa led for only a brief moment in the game, coming after a Samantha Logic basket opened the game at 2-0. Logic led the way for the Hawkeyes with 12 points, six assists, and four boards.

Junior Theairra Taylor was the only other Hawkeye to reach double figures in scoring, finishing with 10 points with four rebounds.

Although the Hawkeyes’ offense struggled — they shot 35.7 percent from the field —the Hawkeye defense shut down Nebraska’s two best players in Jordan Hooper and Lindsey Moore. The two combined for 20 points on 4-of-18 shooting from the field.

Freshman Rachel Theriot handled the scoring load making 9-of-16 field goals to finish with a game and career-high 19 points.

“If you would look at the box score, the first half of it, you would probably think the Hawks win this game,” Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said in a release. “But Rachel really did a good job tonight; her team needed her and she stepped up for them.”

Senior Morgan Johnson just missed another double-double. The 6-5 center finished with eight points and nine rebounds, something that may be the result of a different defensive approach from the Huskers.

“They were trying to front in Iowa City, but tonight they were playing flat on the back,” Bluder said. “Which I think it should’ve made it easier for us, but it didn’t.”

Turnovers and free throws were ultimately the downfall for the Hawkeyes. Iowa turned the ball over 20 times, which led to 17 points for Nebraska. The Cornhuskers also made it to the free-throw line 18 times compared to Iowa only shooting six.

Iowa is going to have to play better if it hopes to play a home game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in the NCAA Tournament come March. The Hawks will finish the home portion of the regular season with a game against struggling Indiana on Thursday for Senior Night. Indiana is 2-12 in Big Ten play.

“We have to bounce back and we have to get some confidence again,” Bluder said. “We know that it’s Senior Night, and we want to send them out with a win.”