Iowa softball finishes 3-2 in ‘Bama Bash’

The University of Iowa’s softball team concluded its weekend with a 3-2 record at the ‘Bama Bash,’ held in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Iowa improved to 10-5 to start the season and ended the weekend with 12-4 win over Western Illinois.

Senior starting pitcher Chelsea Lyon earned her fifth win of the season while the Hawkeye offense exploded for a season high 15 hits and seven walks. Six Hawkeyes registered multi-hit games and eight found the hit column.

Johnnie Dowling finished 2-for-4 with three runs scored in the leadoff spot. Bradi Wall went 2-for-3 with an RBI, two walks and two runs scored. Megan Blank went 2-for-2 with two walks, two RBIs, to go along with two runs scored. Holly Hoffman turned in three RBIs and designated player Kayla Massey recorded a career-best four RBIs as she posted a multi-hit game (2-for-3).

"The thing we have been talking about with our offense is making adjustments quickly and forcing the pitcher to throw some pitches," UI head coach Maria Looper said in a release. "We saw a little bit of that this weekend. We did a phenomenal job of that today.”

Iowa also defeated Winthrop twice over the weekend while losing to top ranked Alabama a pair of times as well. Iowa started off the weekend with a 2-1 win over Winthrop before losing to Alabama 5-0. The same sequence of events happened the following day as the Hawkeyes beat Winthrop 7-1 before losing to the Crimson Tide 4-1.

The Iowa women return to the field for the Easton Invitational in Fullerton, Calif., next weekend. Iowa will play four games in a three-day span. Opponents include Oregon State, Stanford, Cal St. Fullerton, and CSU Bakersfield.