Beer of the Week: Fusion

Name: Fusion

Product Of: Amager Bryghus, Kastrup, Denmark

Serving Style: Pint Glass

Size: 12 fluid ounces

Amager Bryghus’ Fusion is a hybrid beer made from German caramels and yeast, a Californian fermentation technique, and English malts that combine into a beer that goes down smoothly but still packs a whole lot of taste.

Smell: Faint notes of hops and bread are topped off with a nice fruity finish that is fairly inviting but a bit understated. 3/5

Look: The head is thick, sweet, and creamy — not at all unpleasant to drink through if you get impatient waiting for it to settle. The consistency is surprisingly murky for the pale goldenrod color, which my experience tells me is usually a good sign. 4.2/5

Taste: I expected a bit more of a complex taste after reading through two paragraphs worth of explanation on the label, but that isn’t to say the taste is disappointing. Although the beer doesn’t appear to be highly carbonated, the carbonation is extremely active on the tongue, as a crisp apple flavor fades into a bitter hops flavor. 4.5/5

Fusion is a great example of how different brewing techniques can be combined to form unique flavors. For a light-bodied, low-alcohol beer (3.5 percent ABV), this is as complex a flavor as one can ask for and worth a try anytime your traditional light beers are boring your taste buds. 11.7/15