Beer of the Week: Dugges High Five! India Pale Ale

Name: Dugges High Five India Pale Ale

Product of: Dugges Ale & Porterbryggeri, Landvetter, Sweden

Size: 1 pint 9 fluid ounces

Serving Style: Chilled bottle, Pint glass

Sweden may not always be in the conversation of countries with the greatest brewing traditions, but Dugges Ale & Porterbryggeri has used this to its advantage and established a unique identity for itself.

The packaging is as flashy and modern as can be: A big hand is waiting for you to high-five it, like in front of what looks like a colorful wormhole. Not exactly your average label, but hard to resist.

Appearance: After I popped the top off the beer, a little foam bubbled out the top of the bottle. The carbonation level of this beer is incredible; the beer has some of the tiniest, most active bubbles I’ve ever seen. The bubbles leave a heavy lacing on the glass and give the beer a gold coloration that really shines. 4.8/5

Smell: Citrus flavors and hops dominate an aroma that is simple but very enticing. 4.2/5

Taste: I was taken off guard by the sweetness that hits first — raisins and caramel are the likely culprits here. The taste finishes with the expected citrus and fruit flavors. The beer had an enjoyable aftertaste as well, but I couldn’t help but feel that one last key ingredient was missing. 3.9/5

Overall: High Five is a delicious rendition of an India Pale Ale that packs a little extra punch at 7.5 percent alcohol by volume that is still very drinkable. 12.9/15