Iowa places second at Adidas Classic

The Iowa men’s track team still has room for improvement after placing well in its first road track meet of the season. The squad finished in second place out of five teams in the Adidas Classic in Lincoln, Neb., on Jan. 19.

“We’ve got mixed emotions after the meet,” head coach Larry Wieczorek said. “We saw some good things, and there were areas where we didn’t do so well. I think we’re more capable than what we showed.”

Nebraska won its home event with a team score of 205.33. The Hawkeyes finished well behind the Cornhuskers with 111 points. Senior Josh Larney placed first in the 60 for the second meet in a row with a time of 6.78 seconds. Jon Michael Brandt finished first in the 3,000 with a time of 8:30.55 seconds.

The only other winner for Iowa was freshman Klyvens Delaunay in the triple jump with a distance of 14.89 meters. The Black and Gold had four runners — Keaton Rickels, Nathan Prom, Ryan Weir, and Brennan Davey — finish in the top six in the 600.

“This was a measuring stick for us,” Wieczorek said. “We did some really good things, but I was hoping for more. Our veterans had some superior performances. We just have to get the others in there with a feeling that they can contribute.”

The Hawkeyes will next return to the track on Friday and Saturday in Ames in the Bill Bergen Invitational.