Freshman running back Garmon to transfer

Hawkeye running back Greg Garmon will transfer from Iowa, according to the Des Moines Register. Garmon confirmed the report via text message to the Register.

The true freshman ran for 122 yards on 38 carries in the 2012 season. He also caught 8 passes for 57 yards and returned five kickoffs for 118 yards. Garmon spent much of the season as Iowa’s second running back, behind Mark Weisman and then Damon Bullock.

But he will become the fourth scholarship running back to leave the program this calendar year.

Marcus Coker and Mika’il McCall transferred after the 2011 season, and De’Andre Johnson was dismissed from the team in August after a pair of legal run-ins.

Garmon’s departure leaves Iowa with sophomores Damon Bullock and Mark Weisman, the team’s two leading rushers, at running back. Behind them are Jordan Canzeri and Barkley Hill, who each missed all of this past season with injuries. Hill will serve a suspension at the beginning of next season after being charged with OWI last month.

Garmon was a four-star recruit, according to rivals.com. He had scholarship offers from Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, and others. According to NCAA rules, he would have to sit out a year if he transferred to another bowl-subdivision school. But he has a redshirt remaining, so Garmon will retain three years of eligibility.