Man charged with harassment and going armed with intent

An Iowa City man has been accused of confronting several individuals with a knife and threatening another on two separate occasions.

According to Iowa City police and Johnson County Sheriff’s Office complaints, Manuel Hernandez, 18, 37 Modern Way, was charged Nov. 24 and 25 with first-degree harassment and going armed with intent.

On Nov. 24, Hernandez allegedly called and threatened his girlfriend with a threat to commit a forcible felony.

During the conversation, Hernandez reportedly said he will “put her in hell and she will be scared 24-7,” and he will make sure she ends up in a hospital bed, the complaint said.

The following day, Hernandez confronted his girlfriend and several other people with a knife, following an argument at a South Scott Boulevard residence.

During the argument, one of the individuals involved was cut with a knife. Hernandez then reportedly visited one of the victim’s homes and confronted the occupants again with the same knife. He then allegedly began chasing the individuals down the hallway with the weapon.

At the end of the chase, the second victim received a cut to the finger.

First-degree harassment is an aggravated misdemeanor, and going armed with intent is a Class-D felony punishable up to five years in prison with a maximum fine of $7,500.

— by Quentin Misiag