While You Were Away: Hawkeye Sports

Men’s basketball

The Hawkeyes went 2-1 over Thanksgiving break, erasing a large deficit for one win and shooting poorly in their only loss. Iowa came back from down 23 to defeat Gardner-Webb, 65-56, on Nov. 17. The Hawkeyes then took their passports to Mexico for the Cancún Challenge. Iowa defeated Western Kentucky, 63-55, on Nov. 20 behind freshman Mike Gesell’s 19 points. The Hawkeyes fell the next night to Wichita State, 75-63, after making only four 2-point shots.

Women’s basketball

Prior to Sunday’s upset victory over No. 12 West Virginia, Hawkeye women’s basketball went 1-2 over the academic break. Iowa fell in the finals of the Preseason Women’s NIT to North Carolina, 77-64, on Nov. 18. After a 14-point victory over Robert Morris on Nov. 20, the Hawkeyes traveled to Miami for the Florida International Thanksgiving Classic. Iowa lost to host Florida International, 66-65, after Panther point guard Jerica Coley converted a lay-up at the buzzer.

Football

Then-No. 23 Michigan handled Iowa on Senior Day in Ann Arbor, 42-17, on Nov. 17. The Hawkeyes were tied with the Wolverines, 7-7, after the first quarter, but Michigan scored 21 points in the second frame to pull away. James Vandenberg threw 2 touchdowns for Iowa, and Mark Weisman ran for 71 yards on 16 carries.