UI officials unsure how Peter Gray documents leaked

University of Iowa spokesman Tom Moore said he does not know how confidential internal documents regarding Peter Gray and his alleged sexual misconduct were leaked to the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

Moore said the investigation would not be discussed with the press, as it is an internal confidential matter. Moore also said the documents were not supposed to be released, and are not of public record.

“I have no knowledge of how that occurred,” Moore said about the Press-Citizen’s obtaining of the documents.

Gray, an associate director of athletics student services at the UI, resigned last week amid reported allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct.

According to documents obtained by the Press-Citizen, the UI filed a formal complaint with the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, regarding Gray and his alleged sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior toward student-athletes.

The document states that the investigation yielded a conclusion stating Gray had violated the University’s Policy of Sexual Harassment. The conclusion was based on numerous incidents including Gray’s alleged interactions with student-athletes that involved inappropriate touching and behavior that was deemed non-professional.

Other alleged incidents included exchanges of football tickets for sexual favors with an individual who is not affiliated with the UI. Gray admitted that he had given tickets and money to an individual during the 2011 football season but denied allegations that they were in exchange for sexual favors, according to the documents.

Gray worked for the UI Athletic Student Services from 1993 to 1995, then returned in 2002 until his resignation. Athletic Student Services offers academic and personal resources and support for student-athletes.

Cyrus Tate, a member of the UI men’s basketball team from 2006 to 2009, said he never had any problems with Gray, and that they got along very well.

“I’d see him when I’d go to the learning center,” Tate told The Daily Iowan. “Overall interaction with him was cool.”

Tate said he is bothered by much of the backlash that Gray faces — some of it focuses on Gray’s sexuality.

“I’m not about to judge him based on his preferences,” Tate said.

The leaked report cited numerous alleged instances in which staff members reported that Gray’s behavior in the workplace made them uncomfortable. The alleged behavior consisted of “touching, massaging shoulders, rubbing backs, and hugging with student-athletes.”

According to the same report, two individuals had requested that they not work with Gray due to his interaction with the student-athletes. One former employee said Gray’s behavior contributed to their decision to no longer work for the university.

Paul Gordon, a 2011 graduate of the UI and former All-American swimmer, said Gray was a key member of the UI advising staff.

“He was a help to our team, and his abilities as an adviser will be missed,” Gordon said.

Deidre Freeman, a 2011 graduate and former diver for the women’s swimming team, said she never noticed anything unusual about Gray.

“The only place I ever really saw him was at the learning center,” she said. “He just seemed like a really nice guy to me.”

Sports reporter Ben Ross contributed to the story.