Women’s golf places sixth of 19 teams at the Johnie Ihms Invite

The Iowa women’s golf team finished sixth among 19 teams at the Johnie Imes Invitational in Columbia, Mo., on Tuesday. The event, which was hosted by Missouri at the Club at Old Hawthorne, was the Hawkeyes’ third of four scheduled tournaments in the fall season.

The Hawkeyes’ team score (plus-5) during the final round Tuesday was the lowest single-round score the Black and Gold have posted thus far this season. Iowa had 293 strokes combining its four best scores of the day.

Lauren English, a sophomore from Bloomington, Ill., had the best individual score of the tournament for the Hawkeyes on Tuesday. English’s 68 (minus-4) was highlighted by four birdies.

The sophomore did not have a bogey during the final round.

“Lauren led the way today for us,” head coach Megan Menzel said. “It was an outstanding individual performance.”

Menzel saw three of her players finish in the top 20. English led the way for the Hawkeyes with an eighth-place finish. The other Iowa women in the top 20 were Kristi Cardwell (tied for 13th) and Shelby Phillips (tied for 20th).

Southern Methodist secured the Imes title. Mustang senior Melanie White led her squad to the title by shooting a tournament best 208 (minus-8) in her three rounds.

Iowa will return to action for its final tournament of the fall season on Oct. 13, when they will compete in the Lady Northern in Florence, Ind. After that, the Hawkeyes will be on hiatus until February.

— by Ryan Probasco