Yanny out for season with ACL injury

Middle blocker Emily Yanny will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL in her left knee. The New Berlin, Wis., native was injured while attempting a kill during Iowa’s 3-0 loss at Marquette on Sept. 15.

The 6-2 sophomore will not travel with the team the rest of the season, but she could be eligible for a medical redshirt if she is interested and the NCAA will hear an appeal.

Yanny is the second Hawkeye dealing with a lower leg injury; junior defensive specialist Grace Burns is also battling a nagging knee problem.

Hawkeye middle blocker Chanté Thompson and outside hitter Alli O’Deen both recovered from knee injuries last season to see playing time this season.

Until her injury, Yanny had played in 17 sets with 23 kills. Last season, Yanny played in 26 matches for Iowa, all in the middle. She tallied 134 kills in her freshman year, including a career high 15 against Arizona State on Sept. 2, 2011.

An important recruit out of high school, Yanny was on the AAU All-America team after leading her club team, the Milwaukee Sting, to a fifth-place finish at the AAU Junior National Championships in 2010.

The Hawkeye volleyball team loses Yanny right before the team begins Big Ten play on the road at No. 23 Ohio State on Friday, followed by a match the next day at No. 4 Penn State.

— by Ian Martin