Women’s golf finishes in 10th place at the Chip-N-Club Invite

Inconsistency plagued the Iowa women’s golf team in Lincoln, Neb., this week. After an encouraging day of 36 holes on Monday, the Hawkeyes were unable to overcome surges from several other teams during the final round and finished fifth of 13 teams at the Chip-N-Club Invitational.

Lauren English, a sophomore from Bloomington, Ill., was the only Hawkeye to shoot under 80 in every round of the 54-hole event. She finished the tournament with the best total among the Hawkeye golfers, shooting a 13-over 229.

“Lauren was very steady over the three days,” head coach Megan Menzel said in a release. “It was good to see her get the first top-10 finish of her career.”

Despite the sophomore’s strong showing in the team’s first tournament of the year, Iowa fell two places during the final round after starting the day in third.

Southern Methodist roared back from a late deficit to claim the Chip-N-Club title for the second year in a row. The Mustangs started the day in second place, trailing Missouri by 3 strokes. The eventual champions put together the best combined round of the tournament (289) on Tuesday, highlighted by freshman Alexandra Rossi’s 4-under 68. Her round featured 5 birdies and just 1 bogey.

After gaining the lead, the Mustangs quickly widened the gap between themselves and the competition. They finished the tournament 15 strokes ahead of Missouri, which finished second.

The Hawks will need better performances from seniors Gigi DiGrazia and Kristi Cardwell if they expect to contend in future events. The Hawkeyes’ next scheduled tournament will be held in Albuquerque, N.M, in the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational. The invitational will take place on Sept. 17-18.