Field hockey takes two on West Coast

The 10th-ranked Iowa field-hockey team finished up a weekend trio of games out in California on Monday. The Hawkeyes played three different teams on Sept. 7, Sunday, and Monday.

The Hawkeyes capped off their West Coast trip with a victory over California-Davis on Monday. Dani Hemeon tallied the first 2 goals for Iowa by scoring 1 in each half. Sarah Drake put the last goal away late in the second half to complete the scoring, 3-0. Iowa goalie Kathleen McGraw recorded 3 saves in the shutout.

Iowa’s road trip started roughly — No. 16 Stanford upset the Hawkeyes on Sept. 7, 3-2. The Black and Gold held an early 1-0 lead with a goal from Niki Schultheis before Stanford tied it just moments later.

Senior Jessica Barnett recorded her fourth goal of the season to push Iowa back into the lead. Stanford answered with a goal before halftime.

The Cardinal put away the go-ahead goal in the 46th-minute before tightening the defense and keeping Iowa out of the net for the rest of the game. The final score was 3-2 in favor of the school from Palo Alto, Calif.

Iowa was able to rebound on Sunday. The Hawks downed Pacific, 6-0, to push their record against the Tigers to 7-0 all-time.

Marike Stribos began the offensive frenzy for the Hawkeyes with a goal in the third minute of play. Hemeon and Natalie Cafone both added goals, as did Corinne Allen. Before halftime, Iowa led 4-0.

Aubrey Coleman added to the Iowa lead in the second half with a pair of goals, pushing the final score to 6-0. Iowa’s out-shot Pacific 44-7.

"Overall, we had great effort and positive results from a lot of different goal scorers this weekend," head coach Tracey Griesbaum said in a release. "That’s a reflection of the whole team when you can be very balanced like that."

Iowa’s record sits at 4-2, with both losses coming against ranked opponents. Each game this past weekend took place on Stanford’s Varsity Field Hockey turf.

The Hawkeyes will play again on Sept. 16 at home against Albany at 1 p.m. After facing the Great Danes, Iowa will open Big Ten play at Michigan State on Sept. 21. as part of a two-game road trip to the Great Lake State.

—by Cody Goodwin