Beer of the week: Ommegang Abbey Ale

Name: Ommegang Abbey Ale

The Ommegang Abbey Ale is a versatile beer that will likely satisfy people willing to deviate from their normal light beer. The Abbey Ale comes from a "Belgian-style Abbey Dubbel," so you can count on the beer being a fantastic pairing to chocolate. Despite its darker brown coloring, the beer actually pairs quite nicely with nearly any kind of food, because it delivers a lighter flavor than expected. At 8.5 percent alcohol by volume, an Ommegang contains about double the alcohol of the average light beer.

Smell: Ommegang’s smell is enticingly mysterious but crisp and not overpowering. It’s unquestionably fruity, with hints notes of honey, orange, raisins, and possibly a bit of cherry. 4.8/5

Appearance:  The tan head stands tall at first pour but rather quickly dissipates into a comfortable half-finger size foam perfect for drinking. The body of the beer itself is a deep, chestnut-brown. I was pleasantly surprised by the high level of carbonation I could see, even 10 minutes after I poured the beer. 4.7/5

Taste:  As expected, the Abbey Ale packed a fruity flavor with a bite of unexpected spice. Although it was strikingly strong in smell and appearance, the taste was gentle and seemed to coax my palate into another drink. The orange was a bit more pronounced in the flavor — it was the flavor that really lasted once I’d swallowed my sip. The consistency was extremely smooth, not too creamy or malty, a perfect balance. The Abbey Ale is one of the best beers I’ve ever tasted. 5/5

Overall: 14.5/15

After drinking this beer, I’d recommend to anyone wandering the John’s Grocery beer area to go for the Ommegang. I’m completely sold on this beer. If any responsible drinkers are planning on branching out, but still want a flavor they can appreciate, snag a couple of Ommegang Abbey Ales.