Hawkeye RB Barkley Hill suffers torn ACL

The Iowa running backs are dropping like flies. Freshman Barkley Hill will miss the entire 2012 season because of a torn ACL suffered on the team’s open practice on Aug. 18, head coach Kirk Ferentz announced on Tuesday.

Ferentz said Hill will undergo reconstructive knee surgery later this week and redshirt for the season.

Hill is the third running back to miss a season due to a torn ACL since 2009 — Jewel Hampton sustained the injury during preseason in 2009 and then again just three games into the 2010 season and Jordan Canzeri suffered the knee injury during the Hawkeyes’ spring practice in March.

In addition, Marcus Binns also sustained injuries during spring football that caused his release from the team, announced Ferentz after the running back was charged with fifth-degree theft in July.

Five other running backs left the program for reasons other than injury. Brandon Wegher voluntarily left the team in 2010 due to personal reasons. Adam Robinson was first suspended from the 2010 Insight Bowl for violating team policies, but during that time faced charges of possession of marijuana and was dismissed from the program,

Marcus Coker was suspended prior to the Insight Bowl for violation of the UI Student Code of Conduct and was released from scholarship in Janurary. Although Coker didn’t officially face charges and his investigation was closed, he petitioned for release from the team.

Mik’ail McCall injured his ankle early in the 2011 season and rehabbed back into the game, but the running back transferred out of Iowa after being suspended for the final two games of the season.

De’Andre Johnson was dismissed from the team on Aug. 1 after facing charges of disorderly house and eluding in the game weekend.

Hill entered the Iowa program as a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com after rushing for more than 6,000 yards during his prep career at Cedar Falls high school.

The 6-0, 190-pound running back rushed over 1,500 yards in three years at Cedar Falls High — including 2,493 his senior year in 2011 — and averaged just under 8 yards per carry every year. He racked up 89 touchdowns during his prep career.

Freshman defensive back Ruben Lile also suffered a “similar injury” during camp and has been treated with surgery, Ferentz said in a release. Lile will also miss the 2012 season and take a redshirt year.