ECGPS focuses on Biggest Improvement initiative, transparency

The Executive Council of Graduate and Professional Students has a simple goal this year: making sure students know it exists.

Luke Stauffer, the public-relations liaison for the Executive Council, which develops initiatives primarily for graduate students and helps provide grants, said council officials are focused on making both undergraduate and graduate students aware of what the organization does.

“We’re working with the IMU Marketing team, using social media, to really help people understand that we’re there, and letting them know what our role can be and how we can help,” Stauffer said.

“Our students have such different interests, focuses, and skill sets, and so something that may benefit the law students may not necessarily benefit the med students,” he said. “It will definitely be a partnership, and we’re looking for them to provide what they would like.”

“We really want to accomplish something substantive that will benefit the constituents [of the colleges],” he said.

The program was pitched to the regents last year, and Appel says the they were instrumental in its success.

“At every [regents’] meeting, there’s always a breakfast or lunch with students, because they always want to hear what we’re working on, what’s important to us, and how they can help us,” she said.

Like the Executive Council itself, the program’s main goal is to improve its visibility to the community.