UNI’s Lamar breaks out in Game Time League

Iowa’s Sam Logic proved that she’s a point guard to be reckoned with during her freshman year with the Hawkeyes in which she shot .418 from the field and was a unanimous selection for the Big Ten All-Freshman squad.

Logic intimidates the guards who have to face off with her, including Northern Iowa sophomore-to-be Sharnae Lamar.

But Lamar didn’t show it on Monday night. She scored 24 points against the dominant Hawkeye — and Logic only scored 25 against the Panther.

"[Logic] is very fun to watch, not very fun to play against or guard," Lamar said and chuckled. "She’s a competitor — but so am I."

Lamar’s season-best 24 points on Monday included shooting 7-of-10 from the field and 3-of-5 from long range. The Panther scored just 8 points in her Game Time début on June 20, but she finished the season scoring at least 20 points in her last two games.

Lamar didn’t get tons of playing time as a freshman at Northern Iowa. She played in 33 of 34 games but only averaged 9.8 minutes per contest. She scored 1 point per game.

But Game Time brought her 35 points in the first four games alone. And she scored 46 points in her last two summer-league games combined.

Lamar said confidence was the key to her improvement during the short season.

"I feel that I progressed a lot in confidence offensively," she said. "My team required me to shoot the ball and to deliver the ball to [Bethany] Doolittle … and that’s what my team at UNI needs as well.

Lamar was tied with Logic with a league-leading 41 assists entering Monday’s game. Lamar pushed the tempo of her opponents on Monday, making them keep up with her.

"[The game] was back and forth for a while; [Lamar] definitely made things a lot faster, made us tired faster. She definitely picked up the pace in the game."

Lamar’s Game Time squad, Pelling/Culver’s, appreciates her hustle. It makes her a leader on the court.

"She’s a great pace-setter," Game Time teammate Doolittle said. "She’s really quick, and she knows where to pass the ball and when to shoot it herself. She’s just a really good leader on the court."

Lamar’s Northern Iowa teammates are impressed with the young point guard after watching her improve in the summer league.

Lamar will have the opportunity to play another under an experienced guard in senior-to-be K.K. Armstrong, made in appearance in every contest her sophomore year and started all 34 games in 2011-12.

But she doesn’t need as much teaching as the average college youngster. She’s on the right track, shooting 42 per cent from long range in Game Time and averaging 14.7 points per game.

"She’s a great point guard," incoming Northern Iowa freshman Jen Keitel said. "I’m so excited to play with her this year. She’s improved tons, and I can’t wait to see what we can do in the collegiate season this year."