Little Hawks lose last home contest

City High’s senior night wasn’t as happy a sendoff for the seniors as the team would have liked.

The Little Hawks grabbed an early lead but eventually fell to the North Scott Lancers, 5-3, in their final home game of the regular season on Tuesday night.

Seniors Ryan Duncan and Rossel Paguada were honored as the game marked their last time playing at Mercer Park in regular-season play.

The team didn’t play as well as the coaches had wanted to see, but assistant coach Steve Wildman said that his team didn’t play too badly.

"We were still very competitive," he said. "We were playing a very good team."

Adding to the honor of Senior Night was former City High varsity football coach and Athletics Director Larry Brown, who threw out the first pitch.

Joining Brown with an additional first pitch was former City High and Hawkeye football player Tim Dwight. Dwight’s appearance increased the excitement.

The game was a neck-and-neck affair through the fifth inning, when North Scott was able to pull ahead.

The Little Hawks and Lancers were even at the end of the first inning, with one hit each and no runs.

Haring was happy with his performance on the mound today and said he thought he threw a lot of strikes.

The Little Hawks put the first run of the game on the board in the bottom of the second.

Shortstop Sam Mrstik’s bunt to the pitcher landed him on second base and plated Josh Crosby after an error by Lancer first baseman John Kinney.

City High wasn’t able to keep the small lead for long. North Scott came back with a run each in the third and fourth innings and a surge of 3 runs in the fifth, putting the Lancers out of reach at 5-1.

City High allowed 5 hits and committed 2 errors between the third and fifth innings, contributing to North Scott’s lead.

The Little Hawks didn’t stay out of the game for long, however. They broke the gap in the bottom of the fifth to pull within 2 runs.

Alex Mills, Mitchell Hasler, and Jack Frakes loaded the bases with a string of three-consecutive base hits to start the inning. Ryan Duncan and Mitch Wieland added two more base hits and tallied 1 RBI each.

Even with City High’s exciting mini rally, it wasn’t enough to catch North Scott.

"We have a couple of days to prepare for the substate tournament," outfielder J.J. Gevock said. "I think we will perfect the things that we need to do in that time and get the job done."