Man charged for stealing car and drug possession

Law-enforcement officials have accused an Iowa City man of stealing a motor vehicle and possessing marijuana.

Manuel Hernandez, 18, 2100 S. Scott Blvd. No. 43, was charged Sunday with second-degree theft of a motor vehicle and possession of a controlled substance.

According to a Johnson County Sheriff’s Office complaint, the stolen vehicle was located at the intersection of Cayman and Washington Streets. The daughter of the owner of the stolen vehicle lives in the area and sat with the vehicle waiting for the owner.

The female said she saw a Latino man approach the vehicle with a red key chain similar to the one from her father’s company. She took a picture of Hernandez on her cell phone, the complaint said.

The complaint said he ran from the truck and was later located by the Iowa City police. While Hernandez was being detained, he reportedly stated he was in the area for a drug transaction.

He allegedly admitted to possessing marijuana and produced a clear plastic wrapper that contained a green, leafy substance that looked and smelled like marijuana, according to the complaint. A test showed a positive indication of marijuana.

Second-degree theft of a motor vehicle is a Class-D felony and possession of a controlled substance is a serious misdemeanor.

— by Amy Skarnulis