Englert to host whiskey tasting

The Englert Theater will bring an evening of tasting whiskey as a part of venue’s centennial celebration from 9 to 11 p.m. Friday.

Peter Balestrieri, the former Violent Femmes saxophone player and a local legend, will host the event, and a variety of whiskeys will be provided. In order to enhance the speakeasy atmosphere, Balestrieri will play a saxophone concert starting at 9:30.

Katie Roche, the Englert development director, said putting whisky tasting and music together is an interesting way to celebrate the Englert’s 100th birthday.

"The Englert is interested in curating unusual, interesting, cultural experiences," Roche said. "As we looked at ways to celebrate 100 years of the Englert, we tried to focus in on what stood out during that century. Rent parties or casual concerts in family homes and the Prohibition Era inspired this event."

Roche said people will be able to have fun in a new way at the event.

"It’s fun to gain some expertise on whiskey — this is just a start," she said. "As this event occurs over time, people will get to learn about scotch, bourbon, and other kinds of spirits, all while enjoying the splendor of the historic theater and some great entertainment."

Admission is $25; guests are permitted to try four whiskey samples with tickets.

— by Lu Shen