Hymn for Her (H4H) to perform at The Mill on Sunday

The mellow acoustic duo Hymn For Her, rising from the City of Brotherly Love, has rocked its unique flavor of rock from coast to coast since 2008.

Jamming with soapbox guitars and harmonicas, the Philadelphia-based group will return to Iowa City for the second time to play at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., on June 10.

Hymn For Her members Lucy Tight and Wayne Waxing recorded their entire album Lucy & Wayne and the Amairican Stream in their 16-foot 1961 Bambi Airstream trailer while traveling the country, performing at shows, driveways, and campsites.

Tight and Waxing have been performing together since 2008 after meeting in the music shop Tight worked; Waxing frequented the store to buy strings.

Hymn For Her is an original act in which both members write "99.8 percent" of the music. Inspired by such acts as Led Zeppelin, the group is also inspired by friends and fellow artists they’ve shared the stage with, Tight said.

Michelle Roche, the head of media relations for Hymn For Her, said Tight and Waxing both possess a creative quality that drives their music forward.

"[Tight] and [Waxing], a.k.a. Hymn For Her, are extremely dedicated to their craft and incredibly creative people," she wrote in an email. "Not only do they make captivating music, they also oversee all their artwork and produce their own videos."

Roche said she has noticed people in the music industry have taken notice of Hymn For Her.

"The music critics have really picked up on their unique sound, so they continue to get great press," she said. "But it all comes down to the live show, which is great. Even the most jaded of musicians recognize the talent they present on stage."

Tight said she can’t predict when an idea for a song will strike her.

"You never know where inspiration is going to come from," she said. "But when it comes, you gotta have your pen and paper ready."

Hymn For Her performed in Des Moines in September 2011. Catherine Davis, a resident of Des Moines who attended the show, said she looks forward to the group’s next performance.

"They have their own original rhythm. It’s very upbeat, and it lifts your mood," Davis said. "I can’t wait to see them again."

Tight said she hopes the performance in Iowa City is similar their experience in Des Moines.

"It was a very chill crowd, and we had a lot of fun," she said. "[We’re] looking forward to the same in Iowa City."