New Cy-Hawk Trophy to be unveiled today

Two weeks of online voting have produced the latest edition of the Cy-Hawk Trophy, which is given to the winner of the Iowa-Iowa State football game each year.

The winning design, as chosen by more than 8,000 fans, depicts the two teams’ mascots supporting a large brass football in front of a cornfield. That image is mounted on a cubic wood base, upon which the winners and scores of each installment of the series will be engraved.

The "mascot football concept" beat a design in which a football rises from an ear of corn (1,453 votes) and one in which the ball rests on a smoked plexiglass tower etched with a cornfield (846 votes). The latter design was the only one of the three to not have a cubic base; the trophy would have rested on a wooden cylinder.

The trophy will replace what was initially intended to be a replacement itself. The original trophy, used from 1977-2010, was retired around the time the series’ sponsor switched from supermarket chain Hy-Vee to Iowa Corn in April 2011.

Iowa Corn unveiled the initial replacement trophy at the Iowa State Fair late last summer, and it was met with overwhelming ridicule; ESPN.com Big 12 blogger David Ubben called it "the worst trophy in sports." The statue featured a family of farmers standing over a bucket of corn — it was abandoned before it could be used.

The Hawkeyes and Cyclones played for a temporary trophy last September — a trophy that broke as Iowa State celebrated after its triple-overtime win.

The mascot football concept will officially be announced as the next Cy-Hawk Trophy today.

— by Seth Roberts