Comedian Josh Gondelman visits Iowa City

RiverFest will join with the Campus Activities Board to bring comedian Josh Gondelman to the University of Iowa campus.

Gondelman will perform at 10 p.m. today in the IMU River Terrace. Admission is free.

The comedian began his career as a preschool teacher, which has allowed him to charm his audiences of all ages with witty jokes that can make any crowd laugh.

Because of his experience with kids, Gondelman tells his audiences jokes about anything from rainbows to gangster rap, according to his website, www.joshgondelman.com.

The combination of his quirky sense of humor and his good nature has allowed him to become one of the most relatable comedians to perform on stage.

He originally lived in Boston but decided that he needed to live in a city where comedy was everywhere — so he moved to New York City.

In 2008, he was awarded his first official recognition in the comedy community. In a showcase at the Boston Comedy Festival, Gondelman was awarded the "Best of the Fest."

With one festival under his belt, he traveled to Atlanta last year to participate in the Laughing Skull Comedy Festival, where he walked away with first prize.

Since then, he has been recognized on a national level by many festivals and fellow comedians including Rooftop Comedy Festival in Aspen, Colo., and Laugh Your Asheville Off Festival in Asheville, N.C. He was also picked by a talent agent to be on "Late Night with David Letterman."

Gondelman performs standup, sketch, and improv comedy at universities, theaters, and clubs across the country.

He has become known as a comedian that even a grandmother would love — though she may not understand all his jokes.

— by Samantha Gentry