Iowa baseball falls to Bradley, 7-3, for second time in a week

The Iowa baseball team lost to Bradley for the second time in a week on Tuesday night, falling 7-3. The Braves took down the Hawkeyes in Iowa City on April 18 by the same score.

Bradley made the most of a 4-run fourth inning — with most of the action happening with two outs — to beat the Hawkeyes in Peoria, Ill.

Iowa starting pitcher Andrew Hedrick hit and walked two Braves’ batters, and then three Bradley hitters singled, doubled, and singled in succession to gain a 6-3 advantage. The Braves scored another run in the seventh inning.

Iowa had taken a 3-2 lead in the third inning, beginning when senior Mike McQuillan singled to lead off the inning and later scored on a fielder’s choice. Phil Keppler doubled home Jake Mangler for the second run of the frame.

Keppler continued his hot hitting by going 2-for-5 with 2 RBIs on Tuesday. The senior is now hitting a team-leading .352.

Bradley designated hitter Greg Partyka again played a significant role in his team’s win. He connected for a 2-run home run in the bottom of the first to erase a Hawkeye lead and put his team up, 2-1. Partyka hit 2 home runs and had 5 RBIs in the teams’ first meeting in Iowa City.

Hedrick (2-2) took his second-straight loss. The left-hander allowed 6 runs — all earned — on 6 hits in 4 innings of work against the Braves.

Iowa will travel to Minnesota to take on the Golden Gophers this weekend. Friday’s first pitch is set for 6:35 p.m.

— by Ben Schuff