Phil’s Day 2012: Thank you, Phil, for enhancing my education

Private support has made all the difference in my academic experiences. Without the vital funding provided by merit scholarships, I wouldn’t have been able to attend the University of Iowa, where I have received an incredible education.

During my three years here, I have discovered a passion for research. I began my research career in a biomedical lab on campus during my freshman year, and throughout my time at Iowa, I have worked in state-of-the-art laboratories provided, in part, by private support.

My research has taken me from UI to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center for summer study, and I also have had the privilege of presenting my research to UI students and faculty, to the state Board of Regents, to members of the Iowa Legislature, and to attendees at national conferences. I was able to pursue this passion for research because of incredible opportunities created by generous donors.

In addition, I have had the opportunity to see the many ways in which philanthropy benefits individuals, and the greater university community, through my participation in the UI Foundation’s Student Philanthropy Group. It has been my pleasure to work with this group in helping to educate students about philanthropy and to promote it on campus while also personally thanking donors for their gifts.

Philanthropy touches every UI student, staff member, and faculty member in one way or another. Our university has a remarkable tradition of giving, and Phil’s Day is a chance for each member of the University of Iowa community to take a moment to understand the impact of philanthropy on campus — and to thank a donor. Please join me in thanking Phil.

Bhavatharini Kasinathan