Iowa women’s golf finishes in second

For the second time in as many days on Monday, the Iowa women’s golf team shot a team score of 309 (21 over) and finished the Saluki Invitational in second place among 17 teams.

The Hawkeyes finished the 36-hole tournament in Carbondale, Ill., with a combined score of 618.

Senior Chelsea Harris finished tied for second — a career-high — with Indiana University/Purdue University-Indianapolis ‘s Jordan Essman with a total of 148 (72-76, 4 over).

Junior Kristi Cardwell cracked the top 10 and moved up 23 spots from Sunday by shooting a 3-over 75 on Monday. Cardwell tied for 10th (81-75).

"Pretty similar result to [Sunday] as far as score goes, but we had a couple people turn it around and scored much better today," head coach Megan Menzel said. "Chelsea had a really strong tournament for us. She played very solid and steady both days; Kristi had a rough day [Sunday] and today was able to rally and play a little bit more steady."

Three other Hawkeye golfers placed in the top-third of the 96-golfer field. Freshman Lauren English tied for 16th at 13 over, and fellow freshman Shelby Phillips tied for 24th at 15 over. Gigi DiGrazia tied for 31st at 17 over.

The Hawkeyes will compete in the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic in Chandler, Ariz., on April 9-11.

— by Alex French