GymHawks selected for NCAA Regionals

The Iowa women’s gymnastics team was selected to compete in the upcoming NCAA regional competition, the NCAA announced on Monday.

The top 36 teams in the country were selected to participate in six regional meets composed of six teams each. The Hawkeyes are scheduled to compete on April 7 in Seattle against defending national champion No. 4 Alabama, No. 9 LSU, No. 16 Arizona, No. 23 Washington, and Central Michigan.

The GymHawks faced then-No.10 LSU on March 9 in Carver-Hawkeye Arena and finished in second place, 195.7-196.3. LSU is one of 14 Iowa opponents this year that qualified for regionals.

The Hawkeyes have made five-consecutive NCAA regional appearances and six total under current head coach Larissa Libby.

All eight Big Ten teams qualified for regionals. Nebraska and Minnesota will compete in Salt Lake City; Ohio State and Penn State will go to Raleigh, N.C.; Michigan and Michigan State will travel to Auburn, Ga.; and Illinois will host the Champaign Regional.

The top two teams from each region will receive an automatic berth to the NCAA championships, which will be held in Duluth, Ga., on April 20-22. Individual event winners will also advance in their respective events if they are not part of a qualifying team.

— by Alex French