NCAA Championships: Five Hawkeyes earn all-American status

The Iowa men’s swimming team recorded its highest national finish since 2004-05 by placing 26th overall at the NCAA championships in Federal Way, Wash., over the weekend.

The quintet of Ryan Phelan, Gianni Sesto, Paul Gordon, Jordan Huff, and Duncan Partridge scored 20 points for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa earned All-American honors in the 800-, 400-, and 200-freestyle relays.

Phelan, Partridge, Gordon, and Sesto placed 15th in the 200 free on the opening night with a time of 1:18.96 minutes.

Huff, Gordon, Sesto, and Phelan placed 15th in the 800 with a time of 6:29.33 minutes, making the quartet the 12th All-American relay team in school history.

The same four helped Iowa score its final points in the 400 free, placing 11th with a time of 2:54.22 minutes. This is the second year in a row Iowa earned All-American status in the 400-free relay; Phelan, Gordon, Huff, and Partridge placed 15th in the event at last year’s championships.

Iowa head coach Marc Long said he was proud of all his swimmers, especially because their performances came in what he called the most competitive NCAA championship meet in recent memory.

"I’m proud of the entire team in general," Long said. "It was a team effort to get five [swimmers] there. This really might be one of the most selective meets in the country — just 17 swimmers are invited to compete in each individual event. We scored 4 points last year and 20 this year.

"We want more of this, and it’s a great step toward the future of the program."

— by Ben Ross