Hawkeye softball drops three in Sooner state

The Iowa softball team (9-9) lost three out of its four games this past weekend at the Hall Of Fame Tournament in central Oklahoma.

The Black and Gold faced No. 23 Oklahoma and No. 8 Oklahoma twice in the trip.

Iowa split the games with the Cowboys, starting with an extra-inning loss on March 2 in Stillwater. The Hawkeyes couldn’t hold onto a 4-run lead through the first four frames and allowed the home squad to rally late for the 6-5 win.

The teams traveled to Oklahoma City the next day for the second game. Iowa defeated the Cowgirls, 5-3.

The Hawkeyes were behind, 3-1, by the second inning, then used back-to-back two-out doubles in the bottom of the third to set up sophomore Brianna Luna’s two-run home run and a 4-3 lead. Iowa scored once more and held Oklahoma State scoreless for the rest of the game.

Iowa played No. 8 Oklahoma in the second game of a double-header in the capital city and scored the game’s first run on an error in the top of the second. Iowa extended its lead by 2 more runs in the following inning.

But the Sooners rallied and kept Iowa from pushing another run across for a 6-3 win.

The squads traveled to Norman on Sunday to close the weekend on the Sooners’ home turf.

Oklahoma took an early 4-0 lead and never looked back, holding the Hawkeye bats to just 3 hits in a 4-2 decision.

— by Ben Ross