Iowa to send seven to NFL combine

Seven members of the Iowa football team received invitations to the NFL’s annual scouting combine, according to a list of invitees the league released on Tuesday.

The group is headlined by offensive tackle Riley Reiff, who is one of only four Big Ten underclassmen to get an invitation. He is widely considered a first-round pick, and he could be off the board in the top 10 of April’s NFL draft.

Fellow offensive linemen Adam Gettis and Markus Zusevics also received invitations.

Wide receiver Marvin McNutt got a nod for a record-breaking 2011 season in which he set four school receiving marks.

The Iowa defense will be represented by lineman Mike Daniels, linebacker Tyler Nielsen, and cornerback Shaun Prater.

Iowa is tied with Penn State for the second-most invitations in the Big Ten. League champion Wisconsin led the conference with eight, runner-up Michigan State had six, and Purdue brought up the rear with one. In all, 45 former Big Ten players will show up in Indianapolis for the combine.

Players were selected by a committee composed of the directors of two scouting services and a rotating roster of NFL executives. The goal is "to invite every player who will be drafted in the ensuing NFL draft," according to the combine’s website.

The combine is scheduled to take place on Feb. 22-28 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Participating athletes will run through a series of drills to test their strength, acceleration, leaping ability, and agility.

Follow DI Sports Editor Seth Roberts on Twitter.