Friends of Int’l Students: We already miss Scott King

We, the Board of Friends of International Students, are sad to suddenly lose the leadership of former Associate Dean Scott King.

In November 2011, Friends of International Students celebrated its 40th year. King provided an enthusiastic overview of the numerous changes that have occurred during that time. Under his leadership, international-student enrollment at the University of Iowa rose from 2,027 in 2001 to 3,275 in 2011 — an increase of more than 1,200.

Since coming to the University of Iowa in 2003, King has supported, encouraged, and strengthened the work of Friends of International Students. He has engaged in and helped to facilitate activities with our group for the annual picnic, "Cookies and Card Making," game nights, new "Friends" orientations, cultural-diversity day, and celebrations of the 35th and 40th years of the organization. King invested in the international students, making sure their needs were considered and finding ways to smooth the transitions for students into the Iowa City community.

King demonstrated professionalism, enthusiasm, integrity, and cultural sensitivity that assisted each of us board members in carrying out the mission of Friends to link community members with UI international students to provide community, hospitality, and friendship. He effectively recruited new board members and strengthened our relationships to the Office of International Students and Scholars office and staff.

We deeply regret the loss of King’s knowledge, experience, skills, passion, cultural understandings, and support. We are very appreciative of all that he has provided to Friends and hope that he knows of our gratitude for him and his work.

King is already missed by our board.

Nancy Olthoff, Ph.D., is the board secretary of Friends of International Students Board.