Top picks of SCOPE Production events this fall

SCOPE hosts several shows at the University of Iowa every semester. Here are the picks for shows that got the best response this fall.

• Janelle Monae and Fun — Oct. 12

Monae visited Iowa City as part of the Campus Consciousness Tour, powered by by Reverb. People flocked to see the "queen of cool" singing her unique mixture of soul, funk, and R&B while sporting her signature tuxedo look.

"We loved her enthusiasm, and it was clear that the crowd could not get enough of her," said SCOPE marketing director Samantha Olis. "As for Fun, it frequents Iowa City, and the crowd continues to eat its music up."

• Mike Posner — Sept. 1

Radio phenomenon Mike Posner filled Hubbard Park and rocked Hawkapalooza with his particular blend of pop and hip-hop. The catchy tunes resided in audience members’ minds for days after.

"Working with Hawks Nest on this show was a great time, and bringing Mike Posner to the university really helped to get the crowd excited for the first home game," Olis said. "I think that this show was so successful not only because Posner is a great artist but because the atmosphere of an outdoor concert paired with a pep rally is really effective at uniting the students and getting them excited for the upcoming year."

• Mates of State, with the Generationals — Nov. 17

Although Ra Ra Riot had to back out of the show because of illness, many still showed up at the Blue Moose, 211 Iowa, to hear Jason Hammel and Kori Gardner"s indie-pop sound.

"I think this show was so popular because their fans fell in love with the group’s most recent album, Mountaintops, and were really stoked to see the live, energetic performance of both old and new songs," Olis said.

— by Julia Jessen