Hancher reviews its most popular shows of the semester

This semester Hancher had numbers of performing arts groups take the stage, but there were three in particular that made the community buzz with excitement.

• Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra — Nov. 27

The Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra, featuring Rockapella and Holiday Pops, brought in an audience of nearly 3,400 from around the Iowa City community to Carver-Hawkeye Arena. They had the rare opportunity to hear "America’s Orchestra" live, because it was their first time ever in Iowa City and collaborating with Rockapella on its holiday concert.

"The crowd had a wonderful time," said Rob Cline, the Hancherr director of marketing and communications. "The sing-along portion of the evening was amazing."

• Club Hancher — Sept. 29, Dec. 8

The three Club Hancher events at the Mill featured two shows by the Joey DeFrancesco Trio and one by Catherine Russell. All three shows were sold out, and, Cline said, the people who attended the concert couldn’t seem to stop raving about each performance.

"We loved presenting these great artists in that intimate, legendary space," he said.

• Hubbard Street 2 — Sept. 4, 22, 23

For the dance fans in the area, Hancher presented Hubbard Street Dance Chicago and Hubbard Street 2. It was Hancher’s first event of the season, which took place outside on the Hancher Green and was free for the community.

The night full of dancing was followed by a fireworks show that acted as the "official" farewell to the Hancher Auditorium.

Hubbard Street 2 was presented in Space/Place, where the company performed a brand-new work, which some UI dancers have since gone on to perform.

Hubbard Street 2 also provided a workshop for the UI dance department students while it was in town.

— by Samantha Gentry