Hawkeye field hockey’s Griesbaum regional Coach of the Year

Iowa field-hockey coach Tracey Griesbaum was named the 2011 West Region Coach of the Year on Wednesday by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association, according to a release.

Griesbaum’s 12th season with the Hawkeyes ended with a 15-5 (4-2 Big Ten) record, a No. 12 ranking, and a trip to the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

"This honor is a reflection of the entire program," Griesbaum said in the release. "The staff has a very high standard, and we strive for excellence consistently."

Iowa produced four regional All-Americans and national All-American Jessica Barnett this season. The 15 wins marked a 12-win turnaround from the 2010 squad, which went 3-14 and finished the season on an eight-match losing streak.

It was a disappointing season for a team that has made the NCAA Tournament five times in Griesbaum’s tenure, but the Hawkeyes returned to form in 2011. And with only one senior graduating, the Black and Gold have the potential to be just as dangerous next season.

"I’m extremely fortunate to be a part of a wonderful group of Hawkeyes; it was a complete pleasure coaching the team this season," Griesbaum said. "I look forward to continued team success, but more importantly, I treasure the opportunity to coach the Hawkeyes."

Griesbaum was one of five coaches to receive the coaches association’s regional honor; the organization will announce its Division-I National Coach of the Year award in January.

— by Seth Roberts