Go-Go Jungle jams at Yacht Club

As J.J. Jungle slaps his bass, Go-Go Ray makes beats, and Mike D provides the electric vibraphone sound, the Yacht Club audience will feel the musical pleasure from the psychedelic funk-rock show.

"Go-Go Jungle is very energetic and sporadic, overall kind of crazy guys," said Ryan Persinger, who covers guitar, keyboards, and vocals for Five in a Hand. "We are also energetic, and we like to drink and rock and roll, and that is what Mike’s all about."

Mike Dillon’s Go-Go Jungle, with Five in a Hand, will perform at 9 p.m. Friday at the Yacht Club, 13 S. Linn St. Admission is $7.

Dillon started the project Mike Dillon’s Go-Go Jungle in 2006, which included members of the Dallas-based Billy Goat, drummer Go-Go Ray and bassist J.J. Jungle. Go-Go Jungle performs songs from Dillon’s prior projects in its live shows as well.

The two bands have performed in shows before as well as with other projects by Dillon including the Dead Kenny G’s.

"Musically, we classify it as psychedelic pirate rock, funk rock blues, more or less," Persinger said about his group. "We all kind of grew up together and jammed together."

The talented Dillon has performed with an impressive array of musicians including Ani DiFranco, Galactic, Brave Combo, Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe, Marco Benevento, and New Orleans musicians Kevin O’Day, Johnny Vidacovich, and James Singleton, among others.

"[Expect] really intense drum beats," Persinger said. "The audience is always up and dancing around and getting funky."

— by Carly Hurwitz