City council says goodbye to three members

Regenia Bailey

Regenia Bailey will complete her eighth year as a city councilor at the end of this month.

She served as the mayor of Iowa City for her first four years and faced challenges during the 2008 flood.

Bailey said she feels she accomplished much throughout her involvement with the city government.

"Of course, it’s been quite an honor, and I’ve enjoyed my time very, very much," she said. "I tell people that among the reasons I chose not to run again is because we’ve done a lot of things I set out to do."

She said she felt proud of her efforts with the Joint Emergency Communications Center and her work on the economic development committee.

"I’m not certain what activities will fill up my time, but it certainly will be something in service to the community," she said. "I’ll probably weigh some options and look for opportunities and volunteer work."

Mike Wright

City Councilor Mike Wright will end his work in the Iowa City government at the end of this year, as newly elected councilors take their seats in January.

"Being on the council has been a lot of fun, overall. It’s been an honor," Wright said, who has served as an at-large representative. "In a lot of ways, it will be bittersweet."

Wright also served on the Joint Emergency Communications Center panel.

He said he was proud of many accomplishments during his time on council, such as work with the Fire Department, adding officers to the Police Department, and recovery from the 2008 flood. During his time, he also saw the addition of a new city manager.

"I’m going to relax and read books that I haven’t had a chance to read for four years and vacation," he said.

Ross Wilburn

Ross Wilburn is leaving the council after 16 years of service across several government branches.

Wilburn was the first African-American mayor of Iowa City from 2006 to 2008, and he served on the council for 12 years. Wilburn worked for the Iowa City Parks and Recreation Commission prior to joining the council.

Wilburn said he felt proud about signing the Mayor’s Climate Protection Agreement, as well as infrastructure efforts.

"I’m very proud of how infrastructure has improved and grown, such as the library, Trueblood Recreation Area, the literary walk, and becoming a City of Literature," Wilburn said.

Wilburn serves as an administrator in the Iowa City School District. He also serves as an adjunct instructor at the University of Iowa’s School of Social Work.