Officials expect increased Insight Bowl travel

Ticket and travel package sales for the Hawkeyes’ trip to the Insight Bowl this year will increase over last year, officials predict.

The Hawkeyes learned Sunday night they’re heading back to Tempe, Ariz., for the second-consecutive year to face the Oklahoma Sooners at the end of the month.

Last year, Iowa defeated the Missouri Tigers at the Insight Bowl, 27-24.

Terry Tegen, the general manager of Winebrenner Red Carpet Travel of Iowa City, said Iowa’s matchup against Oklahoma is going to be a "big seller."

"It’s Oklahoma being named as a foe, [former Iowa player and current Sooner head coach] Bobby Stoops, the whole scenario with Iowa and Ferentz," Tegen said. "I think it’s just going to be a great game. It’s not a major bowl, but it’s a beautiful place."

Tegen said his agency received more than 700 registration requests for its bowl-game packages before the bowls were announced this year. Additionally, nearly 300 more customers have indicated interest in a travel package.

Not every person who registered or expressed interest will end up making a reservation, Tegen said. But he estimated the agency will sell twice as many packages as it did last year, when it arranged slightly more than 400 trips.

Winebrenner is offering land and air packages — including travel expenses, hotel stays, and game tickets, among other amenities — ranging from $745 to nearly $1,600.

As of 9:30 p.m. Sunday, the university had sold roughly 1,000 of its 11,000 alotted tickets, said Pam Finke, UI director of ticket operations.

Insight Bowl tickets will range from $25 for upper level seats to $67 for lower level, according to the Athletics Department.

Finke recommended UI students call the ticket office directly when ordering to avoid additional fees and limits on ticket requests.