Bluder’s bunch falls to Kansas State in overtime

The Iowa women’s basketball team was unable to get a win in the Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge, losing in overtime to Kansas State on Dec. 3, 81-78.

The loss dropped Iowa to 5-3 on the season.

"They came out and shot lights-out," head coach Lisa Bluder said. "Kansas State is traditionally not that good of a scoring team, and we let them be that way."

Junior Jaime Printy led Iowa with 21 points and 6 assists, and junior Morgan Johnson added 17 points and 6 rebounds.

Senior point guard Kamille Wahlin — who was held scoreless for only the third time in her career in Wednesday’s victory over Virginia Tech — added 13 points, including 3-of-4 from long range.

Bluder said her offense "took a step forward" in the loss, but the Hawkeyes still need to work on grabbing boards.

"This game was lost on rebounds," the 12th-year head coach said. "We were up 2 [rebounds] at half; we were negative-5 rebounding in the second half, including giving them 8 offensive rebounds in the second half.

"A lot of times it’s about possessions, and they had three more opportunities to shoot the ball than we did."

The game was tied 32-32 at halftime, but the Wildcats went on an 18-5 run after the break. Iowa came back behind Printy’s scoring; the Marion native had 11 points in a row for the Hawkeyes to bring the Hawkeyes to within 4, 62-58.

Wahlin nailed a 3-pointer to cut the Kansas State lead to 1, and the Hawkeyes were able to gather their first lead with just over five minutes remaining after senior Kalli Hansen hit a trey.

The score was tied again with eight seconds left in the game, 74-74, and Printy missed a 3 that would have won the game.

Kansas State took control in overtime and won.

Iowa will try to regroup before going down the road to Ames to face Iowa State on Wednesday.

"This was our second road game," Bluder said. "Hopefully, we’re getting into that routine of how to play on the road [and] how we have to mentally prepare to handle playing on the road."

— by Ben Wolfson