Purdue’s two-QB system nothing new for the Iowa D

As Purdue celebrates its Senior Day at Ross-Ade Stadium this Saturday, Robert Marve may have the billing as the player who has experienced just about everything in his college career.

The quarterback started 11 games as a redshirt freshman at Miami (Fla.). He earned ACC Rookie of the Week honors. He ran for the most yards by a Hurricane quarterback since 1978.

He transferred to Purdue in 2009, and he is part of a two-quarterback system that has led coach Danny Hope’s squad to within one win of being bowl-eligible for the first time since 2007.

Marve has mostly played in relief of starter Caleb TerBush after a torn ACL ended his year four games into last season. Last week in an upset at Ohio State, Marve scored the game-winning touchdown on a quarterback sneak.

"I was really happy for Robert Marve," Hope said this week. "Throughout my years of coaching, I haven’t been around many guys that have put in more and got less back in return. He’s been patient for a return on his effort. He has never given up."

TerBush and Marve have vaulted the Boilermakers into the Leaders Division race, and they are still in contention for first place at 3-3 in the conference.

TerBush has thrown for more than 1,500 yards and 10 touchdowns while rushing for 183 yards. In seven games, Marve has thrown for 438 yards and three touchdowns.

A win against Iowa on Saturday would all but secure a bowl bid, which would be the first in Hope’s head-coaching career. This week will be the inaugural meeting for Hope and Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz, and Ferentz said he was impressed by the Boilermakers’ depth at quarterback.

"[Last week against Ohio State] was a critical spot," he said. "They didn’t miss a beat when they had to go to the bullpen, so it’s a pretty good situation to have"

The Hawkeyes have faced three teams that utilize two quarterbacks this season. Northwestern and Michigan were the most active opponents in terms of using a rotation to elude defenses.

But cornerback Shaun Prater said Iowa isn’t fazed by offensive schemes that use two signal-callers, especially after beating the Wolverines earlier this month.

"We just have to be disciplined and treat [TerBush and Marve] as if they were a threat, which they are," Prater said. "As you saw against Michigan, they had two quarterbacks in the game at one time, so I think that’s a bigger threat than having one on the bench and one playing.

"We all have to treat it seriously and hope the best comes out of it."

During his weekly press conference on Tuesday, Hope said TerBush remains the starter despite Marve’s comeback effort against Ohio State. He noted that he would like to get Marve into the game earlier than in the past, though; the senior has typically entered games in the second half.

No matter the quarterback, defensive lineman Mike Daniels said, he knows the Hawkeyes will have to make adjustments throughout the game.

"We’ve been in this position before," he said. "We just have to continue to watch film and learn and be prepared for that. The coaches will give us the schemes, and we’ll go out and execute them."