Letters to the Editor: Iowa City City Council edition

IC lucky to have Hayek

I’m pleased to have the opportunity to lend my voice and support to the re-election of Iowa City Mayor Matt Hayek to the Iowa City City Council.

I have known Matt most of his life and have had the chance to observe his many great character traits, including his willingness to work hard; his love, energy, and devotion to Iowa City, it’s neighborhoods and downtown; and his ability to relate to anyone who walks through his doors. Matt is blessed with high intellect, appreciation for the opinions and feelings of others, high integrity, and farsightedness.

We are very lucky that Matt and his family have made the commitment that allows him to devote his time and efforts to our great city.

I urge you to vote for Matt so that he can continue to represent us so well.

James P. Hayes

Mitchell a well-rounded candidate

I am writing to encourage others to join me in supporting Jarrett Mitchell in his run for Iowa City City Council. Jarrett is the only candidate running on a sustainability platform. He has stated clearly his support for backyard chickens, urban gardening, and bicycling. As the proprietor of Wake Up Iowa City, a business that began as a coffee cart parked outside 30th Century Bicycles and is now thriving as a coffee bar in the White Rabbit clothing and crafts shop on Linn Street, Jarrett has unique insight into how city government policies can affect small, home-grown businesses. I believe Jarrett Mitchell’s vision for the future of Iowa City accords with the values of Iowa City residents who seek to enhance neighborhoods, to support downtown businesses, to increase bicycle ridership, and to encourage backyard gardening.

In the at-large category of the Nov. 8 council race, I will vote for Matt Hayek, a tested leader, and Jarrett Mitchell, a future one.

Judith Pascoe

Hayek ‘genuinely committed’

I encourage everyone to vote for Matt Hayek for re-election to the Iowa City City Council.

I view Matt as a consistent advocate for responsible city planning. He is genuinely committed to policies that respect and indeed encourage the many diverse neighborhoods and communities that make up our city. He has a deep knowledge and respect for the history of Iowa City, which he combines with a worldly outlook and an enthusiasm for new ideas and perspectives.

Eric Gidal

Payne will work toward progress

I will vote for Michelle Payne for one of the Iowa City City Council at-large positions in the Nov. 8 election.

Michelle has maturity, experience, and common sense. She is ready, willing, and able to work on the progress of Iowa City. As a fellow resident of Iowa City’s East Side and working mother of two children, Michelle is fully aware that the same financial problems facing families and homeowners is also an increasingly serious problem for city government.

Setting priorities based on needs, such as public safety and city infrastructure, is what Michelle says local governments must do. She also places a high priority on working cooperatively and productively with governing bodies for the county, neighboring cities and, of course, our schools.

Please vote for Michelle Payne for one of the at-large council seats. Having Michelle on our council for the next four years will be a step forward for Iowa City and the surrounding community.

Karyl Bohnsack

Soboroff will represent the people

I would like to encourage everyone to vote for Steve Soboroff for Iowa City City Council District A seat.

Steve has been a part of the Iowa City community since attending the University of Iowa in the late-1960s. He has been a business owner for many years and is in touch with the community as a morning radio-show host on 1630 KCJJ-AM. He also has experience dealing with local businesses and students as the owner of KCJJ. If elected, he will ensure the City Council functions as a voice of the people, including students, and not of any ideology. His opponent, Dr. Rick Dobyns, was the leader behind the effort to pass a 21-only law in 2005. Though Steve would not repeal the 21-ordinance now that it has been settled, he was not a supporter of it at anytime it was on the ballot. This is because Steve is not interested in telling anyone how to live. Whether you agree with him or not, if elected, Steve will listen to your concerns as a City Council member. He believes in openness and honesty in city government.

Steve has given airtime to members of the University of Iowa Dance Marathon team, UI men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffrey, and UI women’s basketball coach Lisa Bluder. In addition, he has raised more than $200,000 for Table to Table and the Crisis Center, two local charities that support those in need. Through these actions, Steve has supported UI students’ fundraising to fight childhood cancer, supported students and student athletes, and helped the less fortunate in Iowa City.

You can show your support for Steve by voting early at the Auditor’s Office weekdays on Tuesday, Nov. 8.

Eric Nygaard

Hayek the ideal candidate

With the Nov. 8 elections approaching, I encourage the people of Iowa City to re-elect Matt Hayek to its City Council.

As a sixth-generation Iowa Citian and devoted father of three, he is an ideal candidate. Over the past four years he has led Iowa City by encouraging economic development, protecting and improving our downtown and making our city more environmentally sustainable. From advocating for high-speed rail to implementing a comprehensive flood mitigation program, his accomplishments have been laudable.

However, above all else, Matt is truly passionate about Iowa City. With your vote, he will continue to transform his passion into exemplary leadership.

Scott Quellhorst

Mitchell ‘the true champion of cycling’

I was SHOCKED upon reading The Daily Iowan story about the candidates for Iowa City City Council and cycling.

I was disappointed that the one at-large candidate who has been the true champion of cycling was left out. Jarrett Mitchell, from Day One, has talked about sustainability through urban agriculture and cycling, halting the disturbing trend of corporate favoritism, and taking on the responsibilities of freedom.

Mitchell is the only candidate I have actually seen riding a bicycle, not just spouting what he thinks people want to hear. Speaking of candidates who spout what he thinks people want to hear, let’s talk about Raj Patel. Is this the candidate we really want to put into office here in Iowa City? He dropped out of the University of Iowa because he could not juggle a campaign and school. Really? Mitchell owns and operates a local business, Wake Up Iowa City (112 S. Linn St.), works more than full-time, and has no problem running a campaign.

He has proven with multiple degrees and a successful small business he can not only focus on what is important but follow it to completion (free from taxpayer money). Michelle Payne seems to be the one Republican in the race. Last, there is Matt Hayek, the slick lawyer who seems to favor money over constituents. When the people overwhelmingly reject the red-light camera proposal (according to the latest polls), maybe Hayek should listen to them, not the companies whispering dollars into his ear. It comes off a little bought and sold, career politician, more of the same to this voter.

It’s time for a positive change. It’s time for common sense. It is time for Jarrett Mitchell.

Todd Parker

Hayek knows Iowa City

Matt Hayek has represented us well in his first term on the Iowa City City Council.

Having grown up here, and with one council term under his belt, he knows Iowa City like few others. He combines a command of the nuts and bolts of city government with an appreciation for the intangible factors that make Iowa City the great city it is. He is smart, he listens to all points of view, and he makes considered decisions. He has worked hard on the Council, having rarely missed a meeting in four years. We need a person with his experience, integrity, and sound judgment on the council. Check out his website at hayekforcouncil.com to learn more.

Paul and Joan Burns

Payne too conservative to represent IC

As a progressive member of the community who cherishes our status as being regarded as a forward-thinking community, I can’t help but think about what a mistake it would be to elect City Council candidate Michelle Payne, who seems like a Republican. Because she works for MidAmerican Energy, I also question where she would stand on issues pertaining to energy and sustainability issues, something I haven’t heard mentioned by her once. I am aware that this is a nonpartisan race; however, having Republican-like ideals in a town of mostly Democrats brings to question whether or not she is capable of best representing those values.

Iowa City needs to support someone with Iowa City values, and that person is not Michelle Payne.

Emilia Sorrell