High winds stifle women’s golf in Texas

The Iowa women’s golf team faced tough conditions in the final round of Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational on Wednesday and finished 13th out of 15 teams in the field.

Wind gusts as high as 42 mph affected shots all day long at the University of Texas Golf Club, and only five players in the 81-player field recorded subpar scores.

"All the scores across the board were a little bit higher; it was just a pretty tough golf course today," head coach Megan Menzel said.

She said her players need to make adjustments on days when the weather isn’t ideal.

"We just fought ourselves out there," she said. "It was tough; we have to remember that, on days like [Wednesday] when it’s windy and the scores are going to be higher, we have to be patient. We can’t force things to happen; we have to be patient and take it one shot at a time."

Senior Chelsea Harris posted the team’s best total score in the tournament, a 12-over 228, which was good for a tie for 31st place. Freshman Shelby Phillips finished tied for 34th with a 229. Junior Kristi Cardwell tied for 58th place with a 235. Freshman Lauren English finished in a tie for 75th with a 243, and junior Gigi DiGrazia rounded out the scorecard in 78th place with a 245.

The Hawkeyes won’t compete again until Feb. 19, 2012 ,in the Claud Jacobs Challenge in Victoria, Texas, and Menzel said she feels the time off comes at a good time for the team.

"We realize we have a lot to work on, and I think we’re ready for a rest," she said. "We just need to regroup and go from there."

— by Tork Mason