AnDa Union brings diverse musical style to IC

Thanks to the musical group AnDa Union, throat singing, the horse-head fiddle, and rich Mongolian folk music can be heard in Iowa City today.

This Hancher event will begin at 7:30 p.m. today in the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St.

Hancher Programming Director Jacob Yarrow said that though the music is unusual and unfamiliar to most American audiences, it is not off-putting and can be understood.

"Though it is an unusual [type of] music, based on a Western scale, and it uses some unfamiliar techniques, it’s still very accessible and very visceral," he said. "It reminds me sort of American country music and in a very broad way of the folk and country traditions in the U.S."

Hancher will provide a throat-singing workshop and screening of the documentary film at the Bijou about the AnDa union, From the Steppes to the City, to show different aspects of the group.

"The thing that I’m really excited about is the throat-singing workshop, in which they’re actually going to teach us to throat sing," Yarrow said. "It’s something that you can actually get a good deal of insight into in 45 minutes."

AnDa Union keeps the music alive because of its long history.

"They’re young musicians, and they’ve really gone back to make sure that their legacy continues," Yarrow said. "It’s a great opportunity to bring a slice of the other side of the world to Iowa City.

— by Julia Jessen