Women’s swimming and diving dominates Badgers

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team took advantage of a short-handed Badger squad on Thursday evening to take the contest, 229-71.

Wisconsin was without several of its top athletes, because they were competing in other meets — including senior Ashley Wanland, who won the silver medal in the 100 breaststroke at the Pan American Games earlier this week. Even so, head coach Marc Long said, he was pleased with the results but noted that the season is still young.

"Being this early in the season, we just wanted to see [the Hawkeyes] race," he said. "They stepped up and raced, whatever the situation that was handed to us and did a great job with it."

Freshman Becky Stoughton broke two records in the 1,000 freestyle: the pool record in the 50-year-old Wisconsin Natatorium and the Iowa school record.

"It’s early, so it’s encouraging to see [Stoughton] swimming so well, racing well and getting some of these accomplishments," Long said.

The team will now aim to build on Thursday’s performance, starting with its Oct. 29 dual with Michigan State.

"It was very encouraging for the team; it’s a happy bus ride home," Long said. "We’re going back to do some more work to get ready for Michigan State."

— by Tork Mason