Hawkeye men’s tennis continues play in Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American

Senior Marc Bruche advanced to the second round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American Championships’ qualifying stage in Tulsa, Okla., on Monday.

Bruche defeated Javier Pulgar of San Diego State (7-5, 6-2) in straight sets in the first round, and he will face Florida’s Tripper Carleton in the second round. A win today would put Bruche one win away from the main draw.

One day after senior Will Vasos completed a mammoth comeback — in which he rallied from a 1-6, 1-5 deficit to advance to the qualifying stage — Vasos lost to Boise State’s Damien Hume, (4-6, 4-6).

Vasos will compete in a consolation match against Tulsa’s Tristan Jackson at 10:30 a.m. today.

This year was the first time in program history two Hawkeyes have competed in qualifying stages, which, head coach Steve Houghton said, was a notable accomplishment.

He said the achievements of his senior pair while competing against the top teams and players in the nation makes the history even more satisfying.

"This tournament is the who’s who of college tennis, and to have six wins in singles already is really big for us," Houghton told The Daily Iowan.

The doubles team of Bruche and Vasos will begin play today. The duo is seeded seventh in the qualifying round and ranked No. 41 in the nation. It was given a bye to the second round. Bruche and Vasos will face a team from either Oklahoma or South Alabama at 5:30 p.m.

— by Ryan Murphy