Iowa soccer’s Lacasse honored for second straight week

Iowa striker Cloé Lacasse was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Monday, according to a release.

She also won the award last week.

The Ontario native is the Iowa first newcomer to win earn the conference award twice in a season; she earned the honor this week by helping lead the Hawkeyes to victories over Iowa State (4-1) and South Dakota (5-0).

Lacasse tallied seven points on three goals and an assist over the weekend, and she now leads the team with nine goals and three assists for 21 points in seven games.

Both the goal and points totals are among the best for a single season in Iowa history; the records are 15 and 36, respectively, and Lacasse has well more than half the season to try to break those marks.

“She did some very nice things in that game versus Iowa State and helped create versus South Dakota,” head coach Ron Rainey said. “When she’s dynamic and moving off the ball quickly, that athleticism definitely helps.”

Against Iowa State on Sept. 9, Lacasse scored the Hawkeyes’ first two goals within 13 minutes of the opening kickoff.

On Sept. 11 against South Dakota, the freshman’s speed set up scoring chances for Iowa as she assisted a goal by junior Dana Dalrymple and scored one of her own in the second half.

The Iowa soccer team is 7-0-0 for the first time in school history; it will try to extend that streak against Northern Iowa at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Iowa Soccer Complex.

“I always think individual awards are a reflection of how a team is doing,” Rainey said. “I also mentioned to her that this means you’ll have to elevate your game even more as you get into more scouts from other teams.”

— by Ben Wolfson