Soccer wins twice to stay undefeated

The Iowa women’s soccer team had a successful weekend in Washington, D.C., winning two games to remain undefeated in 2011.

The Hawkeyes set a school record with a win over American University on Sunday. It was the first time in Iowa history that the soccer team has opened the season 5-0-0.

“We’re beating teams that we should beat,” head coach Ron Rainey said. “I hope this gives us some confidence [heading into Friday’s game versus Iowa State], but I believe right now that we’re doing what we should do.”

Junior Dana Dalrymple scored the first goal of the afternoon in a 3-1 victory over the Eagles.

Sophomore Katie Nasenbenny and freshman Cloe Lacasse also scored for the Hawkeyes. The two have combined for 10 of Iowa’s 18 goals this season.

The win came two days after the Hawkeyes beat George Washington, 4-1, on Sept. 2.

Lacasse netted her fourth goal of the season, and 40 seconds later, sophomore Leah DeMoss also scored.

Sophomore Alex Melin scored in the 54th minute and Lacasse added her second goal of the game five minutes later.

“We had some moments where we were able to string together and do some good things possession-wise,” Rainey said. “The biggest thing we want to work on coming out of the weekend was burying our attack.”

— by Ben Wolfson