Women’s hoops releases non-conference schedule

The Iowa women’s basketball team released its non-conference schedule on Thursday. The Hawkeyes will play one exhibition game and 13 regular season matchups, including eight at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Iowa’s non-conference slate includes five teams that advanced to the 2010-11 NCAA Tournament.

The Hawkeye Challenge will be held in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Nov. 12 and 13; Iowa will play two games in the annual tournament, although the matchups have yet to be announced. Butler, Harvard, and UNLV will be in Iowa City for the Challenge, and the Hawkeyes will finish the home stand when they host Albany on Nov. 16.

Head coach Lisa Bluder’s team will travel to Northern Iowa on Nov. 12 and spend the Thanksgiving break in the Bahamas at the Junkanoo Jam. Iowa will square off against St. John’s and either Temple or defending national champion Texas A&M in the tournament.

Iowa will return home to face Virginia Tech in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Nov. 30, travel to Kansas State on Dec. 3 for the Big 12/Big Ten Challenge, and visit Ames to play Iowa State in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series on Dec. 7.

The Hawkeyes will play Western Illinois at home on Dec. 9, travel to Bradley on Dec. 17, and finish their non-conference schedule in Carver-Hawkeye against Drake on Dec. 20 and Mississippi Valley State on Dec. 22.

Tip-off times and television information will be released at a later date.

— by Seth Roberts