UI agrees to new retail deal

The University of Iowa agreed to a contract with LIDS Sports Group on Thursday, according to a release. The company will launch Herky’s Locker Room, which will become the new official team store of the Hawkeyes.

Terms of the agreement weren’t disclosed.

The first Herky’s Locker Room will operate from the former Hawk Shop location at 1525 Second St. in Coralville. LIDS officials said the store and the website — herkyslockerroom.com — will be open in early August.

Iowa athletics director Gary Barta said the decision spurred from increased merchandise demand from across the country, which made a national chain like LIDS seem like a logical choice.

LIDS Sports Group — a division of the company Hat World that is based in Indianapolis — has over 975 outlets across the country, and in Canada and Puerto Rico. LIDS has agreements with more than 25 professional teams and collegiate athletic departments, including Iowa State and Kansas.

"Hawkeye fans proudly support our school colors and the Tigerhawk logo," Barta said in a release. "This new retail agreement will provide UI fans access to the latest officially licensed University of Iowa apparel, accessories, and novelties thanks to the excellent reputation, experience, and strong national presence of LIDS Sports Group."

The company’s president, Ken Kocher, said in a release that the excitement was mutual.

"Herky’s Locker Room is an exciting addition to the LIDS Clubhouse team," Kocher said. "We look forward to demonstrating to Hawkeye fans everywhere LIDS’ dedication to staying on top of industry trends, offering a broad assortment of quality products, and putting customer service first."

— by Seth Roberts