Lack of height not a factor for Hawkeyes’ Considine

Every time Megan Considine steps on the basketball court, she knows she’s going to be one of the shortest players on the floor.

In fact, the 5-8 guard has been within an inch or two of being the smallest player in both of her first two Game Time League contests.

So how does Considine make up for her lack of height? By getting her teammates open shots or providing a deadly shooting stroke?

Nope.

Instead, Considine — who was walk-on for the Hawkeyes during the 2009-10 season — said she has utilized her hustle to become one of the premier rebounders in the league.

“I use rebounding and the little things, the fundamentals, to get an advantage,” said Considine, who has 15 boards in two Game Time contests. “I don’t think there is anything pushing me besides wanting to play and wanting to prove [myself].

“I just think little things like that have always been a part of my game — rebounding and getting loose balls.”

Only four players have grabbed more missed shots than Considine this summer. Of those, two stand taller than 6-0, and the third is 5-11.

The Iowa guard said technique and boxing out are crucial, but she cited something much simpler as a big reason for her success.

“I think jumping is a big key,” Considine said. “I think a lot of times girls don’t really like to jump for the rebounds. That’s one thing I try to do, and just hustling after it helps a lot when you’re shorter.”

The fourth player is former Hawkeye Kachine Alexander. Standing at 5-9, Alexander led all NCAA guards last year as a senior with 9.5 rebounds per game.

She said despite the size difference, guards do have one advantage over taller post players when it comes to rebounding.

“We’re coming into the paint full speed, whereas posts just have to jump vertically, straight up into the air,” Alexander said. “We don’t — we have a head start.”

Iowa’s leading rebounder in 19 games last season also said knowing the rim is a key for smaller players such as Considine and her. A stiff rim will produce longer rebounds than a softer rim, which will have more give to it.

Replacing Iowa’s second all-time leading rebounder is something the entire team will have to shoulder.

That’s why, Considine said, every current Hawkeye playing in this summer’s Game Time is focusing on rebounding.

But at least this summer — and since the end of last year — Considine’s rebounding efforts have stood out.

Though the summer-league games aren’t played against other Division-I teams, Considine has almost matched her total of 18 rebounds she grabbed throughout all of the 2010-11 campaign while averaging 6.3 minutes per game.

Iowa center Morgan Johnson said one of the main reasons Considine is on the team is her hustle.

“Megan has always crashed hard,” the 6-5 Johnson said. “She’s stepped up her game in that way since the season has been over and since we’ve been working in the off-season. She just works really hard at getting after boards.”