Bluder agrees to extension through 2018

Iowa has signed head women’s basketball coach Lisa Bluder to a contract extension through the 2018 season, Athletics Director Gary Barta announced Tuesday. Terms of the new deal were not disclosed.

The Marion native has been at the helm of the Hawkeye women’s program since 2000. Since then, she’s guided Iowa to a 211-132 record in 11 seasons, and her 211 wins are the second-most in school history, trailing only C. Vivian Stringer (269). Bluder has been honored as the Big Ten Coach of the Year three times, most recently in 2010.

"The University of Iowa is an outstanding place to coach women’s basketball," Bluder said in a release. "I have spent my entire basketball career in this state and feel very fortunate to be the head coach at Iowa. I would like to thank the administration for showing its support in me and my staff with this extension. The contract extension reflects my desire to keep the Iowa women’s basketball program competing at a high level for many years."

The Hawkeyes have competed in eight NCAA Tournaments over the last 11 seasons, including each of the last four. Iowa won the 2001 Big Ten Tournament and claimed a regular-season co-championship in 2008.

Bluder’s incoming recruiting class is ranked 11th in the nation by ESPN HoopGurlz.

"We are very excited about the future of Iowa women’s basketball," she said. "This summer will give us a great chance to grow as a team while welcoming our recruiting class to campus."